What is OurKidsCode?
OurKidsCode is a community of parents and educators coming together to develop competence in creative computing and have fun learning as a family.
We believe confidence grows in a learning environment that is a safe, fun, encouraging and supportive. We believe parents and children enjoy being creative, playful, informed, engaged, curious and empowered.
The approach we have developed ensures the families have the resources to support themselves and each other if they get stuck. We don’t give them the answers straight away, rather point them in the right direction to encourage them to solve their queries by helping each other and testing their code. We believe this is the best way to build confidence and sustain their capacity to continue learning.
Why take part in OurKidsCode?
- Exploration and creativity
- Create games you can play
- Enthusiastic facilitators
Why learn computer programming?
A basis for learning and living: An understanding of computing is essential in the 21st Century, in every school subject and almost every career.
Creativity not consumption: Digital literacy means developing knowledge, craft and character in computing, not just playing games or watching, and is vital today alongside traditional literacy and numeracy.
Children AND parents: To help your children be future-ready, work with them to develop your and their confidence to try computer programming, logic, graphic design, animation and problem solving.
Why do parents or guardians have to be involved?
Children like learning with their parents, and parents love to help their children. By taking part together, parents show their commitment to this challenging topic and provide patience, persistence and wisdom to match children’s natural curiosity and excitement.
How can we get involved?
There are two main ways you can get involved:
- Find an Existing Club to join or investigate starting a club in your local community.
- Volunteer to become an OurKidsCode facilitator. With our support you can start a family coding club in your local school or community. No experience required. No technical skills required. All you need is the desire to get involved. Full training and support provided for free by our team in Trinity College Dublin.
What age range is it for?
OurKidsCode has been developed for families with children of primary school age. Many families will have younger and older children. They are more than welcome and indeed encouraged to join in too.
Is OurKidsCode available in my local area?
We are in the early stages of rolling out to locations all over Ireland. Our list will be updated as soon a locations become available.
If your county is on the list– why not get in touch to see how we can support you to start an OurKidsCode club in your area.
What does a MeetUp involve?
Our MeetUps typically involve the following same elements:
1. Setup – we get settled, check in, Introductions and getting to know each other.
2. Warm up – we play an activity off the computer for fun and to understand the project a little.
3. Create – we build or create something with coding and crafting.
4. Share – we show each other what we have made and play with it together.
5. Reflect – we chat about how it all went.
6. Plan – we work out who, what and when for our next MeetUp.
I am registered for an OurKidsCode workshop and I have a question – who should I contact?
If you have registered via the National Parents Council you should contact them directly.
Tel: +353 1 887 4034 Email: email@example.com
If you have registered directly through OurKidsCode or any other method, please contact the OurKidsCode team here.